2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ – News – Tie-breakers for Russia 2018 groups
With the group stages now well underway at the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™, we are entering a crucial phase where teams begin to seal progression to the knockout rounds.
But what happens if your side finishes level on points with somebody else? How are the final placings in the groups determined?
Here are the tie-break scenarios for rankings in the groups:
- Greatest number of points
- Goal difference in all group matches
- Goals scored in all group matches
If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their rankings shall be determined as follows:
- Greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned
- Goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned
- Greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned
- Greater number of points obtained regarding fair play conduct (yellow cards = -1, indirect red card (as a result of a second yellow card) = -3, direct red card = -4, yellow card and direct red = -5, with only one of the deductions applied to a player in a single game)
- Drawing of lots by FIFA
For more information, please refer to the 2018 World Cup Regulations (Article 32, Section 5).